I turned 30 today. For the past 3 years I have been semi-dreading this birthday. And not really for the reason of I'm getting old. Partly that, but in all selfish honesty, I have been sad that I wouldn't be with all of my friends and family for my 30th birthday. It has been a year of big birthdays in my family. Everyone is reaching new milestones together. And they are all going to be having big parties, and I'm not.
I'm not ashamed to admit it. I love parties. Especially when they are for me. My husband and my dear friends here have done a tremendous job at making sure that I feel loved and appreciated on my birthday since we have lived overseas. Actually, the husband has done more for my birthdays here than he ever has, because he knows that it's usually that important to me. And normally, I would try and plan an extravagant birthday trip or party here with our good friends. But this year, even with all of the anticipation of turning 30, I just didn't want it all. I've actually had a very good day with my family and friends here and I have had a lot of time to reflect.
This year my birthday is very different, because this year I finally meet the age requirement to adopt from China. It's a milestone that most people don't celebrate. But as I sit here and think about the face in the picture that we look at so often, there is no where else I'd rather be, than right here writing a blog about my 30th birthday and how it has changed my life. My life will never be the same as it was when I younger than 30. Not just because of the aches and pains that, apparently all of a sudden just appear the moment you turn 30! But because I am now allowed to bring a child into our home and give him a family and unconditional love.
30 feels good!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Your support and encouragement are so very important to us!